ASEAN Qualification Reference Framework
The ASEAN Qualifications Reference Framework (AQRF) is a common reference framework that enables comparisons of education qualifications across participating ASEAN Member States (AMS).
The objectives of AQRF include:
- Support recognition of qualifications
- Encourage the development of qualifications frameworks that can facilitate lifelong learning
- Encourage the development of national approaches to validating learning gained outside formal education
- Promote and encourage education and learner mobility
- Support worker mobility
- Improve understanding of qualifications systems
- Promote higher quality qualifications systems
The AQRF developed is based on agreed understanding between AMS. By design, it aims to have a neutral influence on national qualifications frameworks (NQF) of participating AMS. AMS are invited to participate in AQRF on voluntary engagement and implementation. More important, engagement in AQRF does not require changes to national qualifications systems (NQS). AQRF respects the specific structures and processes of participating AMS to maintain their responsiveness to national priorities.
The AQRF was endorsed by the ASEAN Economic Ministers (AEM) in August 2014; the ASEAN Education Ministers (ASED) in September 2014; and the ASEAN Labour Ministers (ALMM) through ad-referendum from November 2014 to May 2015.
Subsequently, the AQRF Governance and Structure document was endorsed by ALMM and ASED in May 2016, and AEM in August 2016, and provided the basis for the establishment of the AQRF Committee to implement the AQRF.
For more information, Click here.